Monday, December 13, 2010

Saffron Coconut Ice Cream


If I would give you a pinch of saffron, what dessert will you make? Most of you would think that saffron should be used in savory dishes such as in rice, risotto and seafood. Fortunately, saffron can be employed as an ingredient for dessert.

Usually, I would not share the most expensive spice in the world if I have paid a fortune for it. Since I received the saffron as a sample from OGourmet, I didn't mind sharing a bit of saffron to my friend Kristin of Chocolate and Tea so she can make a dessert out of it. Here is her post on White Chocolate Saffron Truffles.

On my side, I made ice cream using saffron. Because of the bitter taste of saffron, I had to add another flavor to balance it off. Since I had a can of coconut milk available in the pantry, why not make saffron coconut ice cream. I also thought of using cardamon, I guess I'll try to make next time. I'm not sure how all the ice cream machine work, we use the one from Cuisinart. Sorry for the unattractive presentation picture as I had to share the ice cream among 8 people so basically everyone had less than 1 scoop of ice cream. I can guarantee you that this is the best dessert you will ever taste.

Serves 4
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Freezing Time: at least 2 hours
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup white sugar
1-2 pinch saffron stigmas

Procedure

1. In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring it to a boil.

2. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Bring to mixture to room temperature.


3. Transfer mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.


4. Remove saffron stigmas and freeze for at least 2 hours for a firmer texture.

8 comments:

  1. hi victor, thanks for coming by my blog..i would love to get the taste of saffron as you mentioned it's the most expensive spice in the world..dont think it's available over my place here...and the egg tarts look really irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I bet that ice cream is truly awesome. Greta flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Victor,
    I have to say I am icecream addict:)

    LOVELY
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. This ice cream has no egg yolk in it and yet so creamy. I wonder the lighter version of coconut milk will affect the texture of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting combo! Surely delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. the ice cream looks really yummy! but i don't think saffron is available in sg! so it would be hard to make this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...