Sunday, December 5, 2010

Creamy Pumpkin and Bay Scallop Soup


What is your favorite soup for the cold times? My last attempt on a creamy texture soup without the use of cream was such a success that I wanted to do it with other vegetables. As a routine and also to keep this blog up-to-date, I love to do most of my experiments at my Taiwanese friend's place on Sundays. These are the days where I combine ingredients that most of us don't think of.

This soup was made over a month around Halloween where we had an abundance of pumpkin lying around inside the fridge. We also added bay scallops to give a seafood taste to the soup. We followed a similar procedure as the Broccoli Soup using potatoes as our thickener and purée all the ingredients using a immersion blender.  

Serves 6
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

1 lb pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large red potatoes, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 lb bay scallops
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure

1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook pumpkin, onion, and potatoes for 5 mins until onions are transparent. Add in garlic and cook for 1 min until fragrant.

2. Pour in vegetable stock, bring to a boil and simmer until pumpkin and potatoes are soft, about 15 mins.

3. Purée mixture in a blender until smooth. Transfer back to pot, add bay scallops and simmer for 10 mins until scallops are cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

5 comments:

  1. this marks the first time i've seen pumpkin and seafood in combination--winning soup, victor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup looks sooo comforting and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scallops and I imagine that they add a real yumminess to the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victor, this sounds like a fabulous combo. I am trying this out on my husband who loves scallops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup looks delicious. I would make this for my family too :D

    You have a great blog and I'm happy to follow you for lots of food ideas. Thanks Victor for sharing all your great recipes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...