Saturday, September 25, 2010

Acorn Squash Raviolis


What is your favorite ravioli filling? Since my purchase of the pasta machine, I have been making taglatielle and spaghetti pasta. I went a step further and attempt making raviolis using acorn squash as a filling. It took me about an hour to get the hang of putting the right amount of filling and seal it carefully. It is not as bad as I thought and I was amazed of the final result.

Serves 4
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
2 lb acorn squash or any other squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg
pasta dough
1 egg, beaten
Favorite pasta sauce

Procedure

1. Roll out the pasta dough into pasta sheets. For raviolis, make the sheets a bit thicker than usual, about the same thickness as a nickel coin. Let it dry.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook squash until soft.  Season with salt and pepper. Add nutmeg.


3. Purée squash with a hand mixer or blender.

4. To assemble raviolis, prepare a floured surface. Lay out pasta sheet.

5. Place teaspoons of purée on the pasta sheet, spaced about one-inch apart.


6. Brush beaten egg on pasta sheet between the mounds of purée. Cover with another sheet of pasta.

7. Use a pasta cutter or knife to cut raviolis apart.


8. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add raviolis, and cook for about 5 mins.


9. Drain with a colander and serve with your favorite pasta sauce. If you have some purée remaining, serve it as a side dish.

7 comments:

  1. Those raviolis look amazing, impressed. So you got a pasta machine? I am always tempted bu afraid it will just eventually collect dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite kinds of ravioli!! Others are pumpkin & butternut squash ravioli- just wonderful. I would also try a pinch of cinnamon along with the nutmeg in your recipe. You might enjoy different herbs in your mixture too; sage or rosemary give a great varation the flavor of the filling. I love that you make your own pasta! It adds a fantastic dimension of flavor and textural delicacy to the dish. thx for a fantastic recipe and yummy post!
    stephanie-
    http://ecostylelifebeaumonde.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Evelyne: It is sort of like an ice cream machine. If you like ice cream, you will make time to time. The pasta machine was on special. Immediately,I feel in love with it and have been making it at least once a week.

    @Stephanie: Great comment! I'll try and add cinnamon. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for giving me an idea of a possible dish to make.

    Ooo...brown butter sage sauce to go with the ravioli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Looks healthy and delicious. Nothing is better than homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love nothing more than pumpkin/ squash ravioli! I've never made them for myself (just had them at fancy restaurants), so I am definitely going to give this recipe a shot at home.

    And yes - Marcy's right - Browned butter and sage is the ultimate sauce for these.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the suggestion, Marcy and Kit James. I'm not a big fan of butter, so I was a bit afraid to make beurre noisette and turn to disaster. I heard great things about it, I'll sure try it out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...