Saturday, April 3, 2010

Malaysian Steamed Cake - Ma Lai Koh (Short Version)



Did it occur to you that at some random time you are craving for a dish you haven't eaten in years? For the past years, most of my favorite Dim Sum restaurants don't serve Malaysian cakes ("Ma Lai Koh" in Chinese). One of my mother's friend loves to make Chinese pastry and I do learn a lot from her. This recipe is a "shortcut" version using Betty Crocker Cake Mix, impressively it matches the taste of what you can find in the restaurant. The "long" version uses custard powder, it might be hard to find in regular supermarket. Chances are you can find it in a Chinese supermarket.

Preparation Time : 20 mins
Steaming Time : 30-35 mins
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

3 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 lb glutinous rice flour
1 package Betty Crocker Cake Mix (preferably lemon, any other flavours work as well)

Procedure

1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and water.


2. In a separate bowl, combine and sift rice flour and cake.

3. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture until combined.


4. Lightly grease two 8'' baking pans. Pour batter into each of the pans.


5. Steam for 30-35 mins or until it passes the toothpick test.

3 comments:

  1. I love any and all Chinese pastries and oh my goodness this cake looks good. I would eat the entire thing. Thank goodness places like Taipan Bakery in Flushing only serve slices...or I would be in TROUBLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can see why you were craving this. Total comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't bake often, but this looks like something I could try. I love the color. It looks like it would be delicious with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...